1157 Oxford Street
1157 Oxford Street, Berkeley
Welcome home to 1157 Oxford Street, an incredibly unique garden compound comprised of two beautiful residences on one large lot offering a harmonious juxtaposition of old-world charm and modern ingenuity. The front house is a delightful, European-style 3 bedroom/2 bath home filled with elegant and colorful interiors boasting original details throughout. Its enchanting stone-clad, wisteria-draped curb appeal is adorned with drought-tolerant and mature landscaping. Tucked at the rear of the property is an amazing, architect-designed 1 bedroom/1 bath cottage featured in numerous on-line and print publications showcasing its space-saving “tiny house” solutions while maintaining a modern and open California-style aesthetic. At the heart of the property is the inspiring outdoor spaces featuring a showstopping firepit deck centerpiece, picturesque gardens, and an incredible self-sustaining, honey-making beehive. This truly rare find is situated in one of North Berkeley’s most sought-after, tree-lined and walkable neighborhoods.
The front house features hardwood floors, arched doorways and a mix of vintage and artisan elements adding character and personality. A colorful lime-wash treatment on the walls create beautiful tones and a textural effect throughout the main level. The formal living room is graced with a wood-burning fireplace, built-in bookshelves and stunning leaded-glass windows framing the verdant views outside. The spacious formal dining room is light-filled and gorgeous in vintage mint green! Through the grey lavender halls, you’ll find the kitchen and full bath. The Tuscan gold kitchen exude a French country feel with contrasting blue tile countertops and blue French doors with direct access to the rear yard for easy indoor/outdoor flow. Upstairs you’ll find a full bathroom and three lovely bedrooms with 1920’s wall sconces and ample closets. Two of the bedrooms boast arched ceilings and SF Bay and Golden Gate Bridge views. The bathrooms in the home are equipped with Toto toilets complete with bidet and seat warmer, surprise luxuries you’ll quickly learn you can’t live without! A one-car garage with interior access, multiple storage areas, laundry space, and a bonus workshop/wine room complete the basement level.
At the rear of the property sits an extraordinary 2nd residence rivaling its front house counterpart. Compact and adorable, this tiny one bedroom/one bath home feels open and large. All the modern conveniences are strategically and effortlessly integrated to provide comfort and easy living in style! Bay Area-based architect, John Hopkins, designed this special cottage with open living spaces, high-beamed ceilings and walls of windows to bring in maximum light and scenery. The great room features a gas fireplace, built-in office nook and beautiful walls of shelving for storage. The stylish kitchen is sleek and efficient! To extend the living space outside, he engineered a fantastic front deck made of IPE wood which embraces a mature oak tree highlighting its presence.
In between the homes, you’ll find an expansive, level and lush garden filled with an array of fruit trees, mature oaks, bamboo, and succulents providing a backdrop to the centerpiece focal point; a party-sized, raised IPE wood circular deck with gracious spiral entry. At the deck's center, you'll find a Japanese firepit table made from terracotta stained concrete. Wired with electrical outlets on the deck, you’ll be inspired to add some extra twinkle to your summer evening parties. This marvelous space is sure to elevate your outdoor entertaining to the next level! Lastly, the fascinating, personal beehive situated in the yard allows for fun honey harvesting all year round. What more could you ask for!
Located in the treasured North Berkeley neighborhood just blocks from U.C. Berkeley’s Northside campus with great schools and easy access to transportation, BART, and multiple bus lines just minutes away. Enjoy outdoor activities at nearby Codornices Park, Live Oak Park, Berkeley’s historic Rose Garden, or the many hiking trails at Tilden Regional Park. Indulge yourself at all the fabulous shops, dining, and entertainment at nearby Gourmet Ghetto, downtown Berkeley and Solano Avenue retail and commercial districts. Enjoy evening concerts at the Greek Theatre or Zellerbach Hall or take in a movie at 3 nearby theaters, all walkable! Multiple grocery stores nearby make for an easy stroll to go food shopping. Conveniently enjoy all of the wonderful amenities and destination hot spots Berkeley has to offer.
PROPERTY FEATURES/SELLER’S LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS
FRONT HOUSE – 1157 Oxford Street
- Built in 1925
- 1,797 square feet of living space
- Lot size: approx. 6,075 square feet
- 3 bedrooms / 2 full bathrooms
- Main level: Formal entry, formal living room/formal dining room/ eat-in kitchen/full bathroom
- Upper level: 3 bedrooms / full bathroom / views of SF Bay, GG Bridge
- Basement level: one-car garage/ storage/wine room / laundry
- Hardwood floors, arched doorways
- Original leaded glass windows, recessed lighting, built-in shelves
- Whimsical hand-crafted light switch covers, unique metal sconces,
- Colorful and unique lime-wash painting technique on walls
- Wood-burning fireplace w/stone surround, wall-mounted media console
- Kitchen features stainless steel appliances, tile countertops and warm-toned wood cabinetry, access to rear garden
- Arched ceilings in 2 bedrooms, vintage wall sconces
- Bedroom closets with built-in shelving units
- Alarm system installed – not currently activated
- Laundry room with washer/dryer units included (in basement)
- Storage/utility room/wine room (in basement)
- One-car attached garage with interior access
- Automatic drip irrigation system in the front/rear yards
- Personal beehive with honey-producing bee community
- Large scale metal sculptures of succulent plants in the garden
- Party-sized, raised IPE wood circular deck with gracious spiral entry featuring antique gold rock wall, wired for electricity, and Japanese firepit table made of terracotta-stained concrete
- Variety of fruit trees, drought-tolerant plants, succulents, mature trees
FRONT HOUSE IMPROVEMENTS
- New foam roof, including all horizontal surfaces below roofline installed 2018
- Some interior and exterior walls repainted and touched-up in 2020
- Basement and garage walls/floors painted in 2020
- Exterior trim/window frames repainted in 2014
- Exterior balcony at principle bedroom upstairs was weather-proofed in 2014 – including 2 feet up the walls.
- Dishwasher replaced as an upgrade in 2016
- Toto toilets with bidet and seat warming feature installed 2010-2012
- Backyard IPE Circular deck and fire pit added 2007
- Hardscape pathways added 2008
REAR COTTAGE – 1159 Oxford Street
- Custom-built in 2005
- Designed by architect, John Hopkins (Hopkins Studio – Architecture & Design)
- 579 square feet of living space
- 1 bedroom / 1 full bathroom
- Bamboo wood flooring, dual-paned windows
- Feature wall with built-in bookshelves, gas fireplace and heater
- Modern, stylish kitchen with compact appliances, built-in office nook
- Wood paneling and beamed ceilings
- Bathroom features, tile floors, Toto toilet with bidet and seat warmer, shower with glass block walls
- Walk-in closet with built-in organizers and shelving, laundry
- IPE wood deck built around a mature oak tree
- Tankless water heater
- Featured in several print publications, online articles
- Sought-after tree-lined North Berkeley neighborhood
- Desirable Berkeley school system, just steps to Oxford Primary School
- Walkable to U.C. Berkeley campus with easy access to Downtown Berkeley and its abundance of amenities, dining and entertainment
- Just a few short blocks to Berkeley’s famed Gourmet Ghetto shopping and dining corridor with destination hot spots such as The Cheeseboard, Chez Panisse, Grégoire Restaurant, and so much more!
- Near Marin Circle Fountain and Solano Ave restaurants, cafés, neighborhood shops, groceries, bars, and entertainment.
- Quick access to numerous neighborhood parks including Live Oak Park and Tilden Regional Park.
- Take a stroll through Berkeley’s historic Rose Garden or nearby Codornices Park with its fun concrete slide.
- Transportation and commuting is a breeze with bus lines & Downtown Berkeley and North Berkeley BART just minutes away.
Perched above the city and offering the best panoramic views in the entire Bay Area, North Berkeley Hills is an incredibly peaceful residential neighborhood, yet not far from the hustle and bustle of the city’s more urban areas. Homes in the neighborhood are built in a variety of styles and feature spacious patio decks, manicured lawns and lushly landscaped gardens.
Depending on where you live, North Berkeley Hills residents can enjoy views of the San Francisco and Oakland skylines, the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, and Mount Tamalpais. For even more great views plus a variety of great outdoor activities, residents can take a short trip to nearby Tilden Regional Park. Park amenities vary between free and paid activities. Free activities available at TIlden Park include a beautiful botanical garden, the Little Farm, and nearly 40 miles of scenic hiking trails. For a small fee, the public can also swim at Lake Anza, take a spin on the Merry-Go-Round, or enjoy a round of golf at Tilden Park Golf Course.
Some residents in the southern part of North Berkeley Hills are within walking distance of the thriving retail district on Solano Avenue. Featuring a wide variety of stores, shops, and plenty of great restaurants, including:
Safeway Community Markets: Located at the southwest corner of Solano and Fresno Avenues, this is a great place to check off everything on your grocery list.
Noor & Sons Rug Gallery: Find handcrafted Oriental Rugs for your home, as well as rug cleaning and repair services.
Peet’s Coffee: It all started in Berkeley, and this location is ideal for your morning cup of coffee before you begin your commute.
Additionally, foodies who love a variety of cuisines are just a short walk or drive away from the infamous Gourmet Ghetto neighborhood.
Despite its elevated location, North Berkeley Hills is extremely transit-friendly. The Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District bus lines that serve the neighborhood drop residents at the Downtown Berkeley BART station for a quick commute to downtown San Francisco. Berkeley Hills residents who live near the western section of the neighborhood are less than one mile away from the heart of UC Berkeley, making it a great area for faculty and administrators to live.
Showings by Virtual Tour Or By Appointment ONLY:
Contact Tracy Palma | 415-305-6726 | [email protected]
Covid-19 safety measures and protocols strictly enforced for all in-person tours. Email Tracy for guidelines, mandatory forms and showing appointment date/time confirmation.